Which Anti-Vibration Mount Should You Install on Your Equipment?

Anti-vibration mounts are devices that are used to dampen the vibrations that are produced by moving equipment. While their primary purpose is to reduce noise, they can also be used to prevent shock damage or wear to mechanical or electronic equipment.

These devices attach to a stationary object and dampen the vibrations that would have otherwise been transmitted through the floor and into your equipment. They can come in a variety of forms and are fairly easy to install. Here are the different types of anti-vibration mounts and how you can choose the best one for your situation.


The most common type of anti-vibration mounts is the ball and socket style. This device has a swiveling ball joint that is housed in a metal or plastic socket. The equipment mount attaches to the socket with a bolt, bushing, or mounting plate.

Self-Lubricating O-Rings

Self-lubricating o-rings are a type of soft mounting material that can be used with a ball and socket. These o-rings have a rubber-like coating that makes them slippery when pressed against a metallic surface. The ball joint attaches to the o-ring with a bolt, sometimes with an additional nut or washer.

Shock sprays

Shock sprays are metal or plastic devices that contain a chamber filled with an electrically charged gas. When exposed to a high-velocity impact, the gas expands into thousands of tiny water-filled shards that cling to the base of the equipment and prevents damage.

Rubber Couplings

Rubber couplings are used most commonly with ball and socket joints. The metal socket of the ball joint is pressed tightly against the rubber coupling. This combination of parts works well to reduce vibrations without generating a lot of noise.

Rubber Hose and Couplings

These are special devices that are used to reduce vibrations from very long hoses or cables. They are often made of rubber and have a metal coupler or handle attached to a metal hose or cable. The rubber hose or cable is mounted to the handle/coupler with a bolt or with a vibration isolation mount.

Vibration Isolators

Vibration isolators are mounted between vibration-generating equipment and a mount that is attached to a stationary object. This type of mount is often used with industrial equipment that has a rotating component, such as a pulley or a fan. This mount is different from a shock mount in that it isolates the rotational motion from the equipment.

What is the Best Type of Anti-Vibration Mount?

The best type of anti-vibration mounts will depend on your situation. Here are some factors to consider:

What type of machine does the equipment run on? Vibration isolators are often used on machines with rotating equipment, such as engines and fans. They’re not ideal for use with static tools, such as drills and saws. Self-lubricating o-rings are best used on drills and other tools that produce minimal vibration.

What type of surface is the equipment mounted to? Some mounting surfaces, such as concrete, are more prone to vibrations than others. Using an anti-vibration mount that dampens vibrations on a concrete surface is ideal. An isolator that mounts to a steel plate is also a good choice for concrete.

When your equipment is in motion, there’s a good chance it will produce noise or vibration. Either way, you’ll want to find a way to reduce the noise and vibration as much as possible. Anti-vibration mounts are a great way to do this.

Christophe Rude
Christophe Rude
Articles: 15843