While one can drink Kremasat any time of year, it is most commonly offered between Christmas and the first weeks of the New Year, while Haitian Independence Day and Ancestors Day are observed.
As per Saveurs Lakay, Kremas is a familial drink with different ingredients from generation to generation, it usually consists of a thick, creamy mixture of condensed milk, coconut milk, spice, and a significant quantity of dark rum. It is just the fundamental combination of components; several individuals include their favourite seasonings to the cinnamon. Some choose to add a squeeze of lemon to cut through the sweetness of the beverage.
Genuine Haitian rum is always required regardless of the recipes, with Rhum Barbancourt being the optimal option. Its gentle aromas of caramelised brown sugar complemented the decadent beverage wonderfully.
Although the firm’s inevitable development, Rhum Barban court has been produced in Haiti for over 150 years and is traditionally created. The rum is aged for 15 years in three various oak barrels, resulting in a markedly delightful palate that gradually enables notations of citrus and flavouring to emerge.
How to Make Haitian Cremas?
There will be cremations if it is a Haitian festival. It tastes like egg nog or coquito, but with a little boozier.Haitian cremas is a drink used by Haitians at any time of the year, particularly on special occasions like birthdays, weddings, and, most notably, throughout the Christmas season and into the New Year.
Kremas, Cremasse, or Cremasse is a cocktail made with rum, coconut cream, cinnamon, lemon, nutmeg, and a few other spices. Because of the rum, it has a yellowish tint with brownish flecks swirling within. Cinnamon and grated nutmeg is some of the ingredients that give Kremas its distinct flavour. The whole listing of components for a Kremas preparation is as follows:
- 2 flavoured condensed milk cans
- 1 evaporated milk can
- cinnamon (1 tsp)
- 1 tsp nutmeg, grated
- lime juice, 1 tsp
- 1 tbsp anise star extract, 1 tbsp almond extract, and 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- Barbancourt rum, 1 tsp
- 1 coconut cream can
However, simply listing the ingredients isn’t nearly enough. Making Haitian Kremas is an artistic expression that we’ve effectively resurrected with a modern touch. There are numerous recipes available, and the most provide comparable outcomes.
Can find step-by-step instructions to producing excellent Kremas below:
- In a big mixing bowl, combine the condensed milk and flavoured milk. Stir until everything is well combined.
- Mix the coconut cream with the milk in the mixing bowl.
- Nutmeg, cinnamon, vanilla, anise star, and almonds are all good additions (not in this specific order). Now combine all of the ingredients.
- Now you’ll have to pour lime juice to thicken the batter. However, it would help if you first tasted before proceeding. Stir it up after pouring the lime zest, and take another bite.
- The Barbancourt rum (or other brands) is now served, which is the essential essence of Kremas. After you’ve added everything, make sure you mix it all thoroughly.
- Allow the combination to sit for a few minutes.
- The cocktail is now ready to be enjoyed, so serve it into bottles.
- Before serving the Kremas, we suggest sprinkling ice cubes. After all, this is a frozen smoothie.
There are various YouTube videos available that demonstrate how to make Kremas properly. Most of them have similar components, but they might include something special to spice everything up, such as a unique blend. Coconut cream, rum, cinnamon, and lime juice are the key ingredients.
How are Haitian Kremas served?
Food Searches website states, Haitian Cremas are a pleasant and tasty smoothie that can be consumed chilled or at room temperature. A few ice cubes will go a long way toward making this eggless eggnog a gourmet joy. It’s also advisable to buy a 750-millilitre bottle to keep the Kremas in. It is the quantity you’ll get if you execute the recipe exactly. A funnel must make pouring the Kremas much easier.
Kremas is the excellent drink to offer alongside a pie or other delicacy during a wedding party or vacation. It’s exactly the right amount of alcoholic deliciousness to instantly improve your mood. If it’s overly sugary, add a few more ice cubes to reduce it even more.
The website Haitian Cremas Recipes is devoted to the country’s rich and varied food. They know how good their meal is because they are Haitians. To the majority of the nation, Haiti is regarded as one of the weakest countries on the planet. However, we find their culture, food, and customs to be fascinating. Follow them on this gastronomic adventure and explore your favourite Haitian dishes.