In 2019, over 84,000 motorcyclists were injured in accidents. By their nature, motorcycles are much more dangerous than enclosed vehicles, and you are 29 times more likely to die in a motorcycle accident than a passenger car accident. Accident victims frequently battle with unpleasant memories. Numerous things can cause roadside collisions. Any user of the road, including drivers, can start an accident. Hiring a qualified personal injury lawyer in Hammond is essential if you were injured in an accident. These professionals will support your request for medical expense reimbursement.
If you’ve been injured in a motorcycle accident that wasn’t your fault, you should consider hiring a personal injury lawyer to seek the compensation you are entitled to. Your injuries could result in long-term medical care, lost wages, and even permanent disability.
If you’re not sure where to start, read on for what you should look for when selecting a motorcycle accident lawyer.
This is probably the most important thing to look for. You want a personal injury attorney who has experience with motorcycle accidents to handle your case. Not all lawyers are created equal, so you don’t want an attorney who has no experience with personal injuries or motorcycle accidents handling your case.
Check out https://www.shreveportlawyer.com/personal-injury-lawyer-shreveport-louisiana/ to learn more about what personal injury attorneys do.
Ask your family and friends for references of who they would recommend and who they would avoid. If you know a lawyer, ask them. A recommendation from a fellow legal professional is one of the highest compliments an attorney can get. You don’t want an attorney with a bad reputation as that could impact your case outcome.
Once you get those recommendations, do your own research into their experience, outcomes in previous cases, and how many cases they have handled.
3. In-Person Meeting
Once you put together a shortlist of potential attorneys, it’s time to meet with each of them to determine who you want to work with. Some of the things to ask during the interview include:
- Fee structure (most personal injury attorneys work on a contingency basis, meaning they don’t get paid unless you win the case)
- Who pays upfront costs (for things such as medical records, expert witnesses, medical specialists, investigators, etc.)
- How strong of a case they think you have
- How much your case is worth
- How many similar cases have they handled
- What were the outcomes of similar cases
- If they have trial experience (if you cannot agree on a settlement with the insurance company, your case may go to trial)
- Who will be handling your case and who you will communicate with (a large firm may have many lawyers working on your case)
- How the attorney will communicate with you and how often (be sure you are ok with their communication style; if you prefer email and text messages, pick an attorney who will work with that)
4. Your Comfort Level
Some personal injury cases can drag on for months or even years depending on how long the insurance company takes to come around. If you aren’t comfortable with your attorney, it’s going to be a very long process. Pick someone you are comfortable with and that you think will do their best for your particular case.
Use These Tips Before Selecting a Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
Before you select a motorcycle accident lawyer, check out our tips to ensure that you are hiring someone who is experienced and will work for you. Make sure you get the compensation you are entitled to.
If you found these tips helpful, be sure to check out some of our other legal article.