Driving with your family brings on the responsibility of taking care of your child. There can be many turbulences on the road for which your child should be safe at all costs. Babies are given their own car seats which are installed in the vehicle. Although it is a difficult process, this article will give you an easy-to-follow guide for the child’s best safety.
Select the right car seat
A child seat is guaranteed to save lives. According to the CDC, if your child is properly fastened in their seat, their probability of dying in the car accident gets lowered to 71%.
However, the act of purchasing a car seat with so many options is dizzying. But there are three things which you should consider before buying a seat:
- The weight and height of your child
- Age of your child
- The seat meeting the standards of safety
See the following instructions from CDC to select a car seat for your child.
Newborn to 2 years:
If your child falls in this category, get a rear-facing seat. This seat has a weight limit too which should be followed.
2 years old and not exceeding 40 pounds:
Get a forward-facing child seat. If you have a vehicle taken from the used cars for sale in Dubai, the same guideline should be followed.
Age between 4 to 8 or taller than 4 feet and 9 inches:
Use the belt positioning booster seat. Remember to keep your child in the back seat.
Older than 8 years:
There is no compulsion of using the booster seat but seat belts should be used. Check to see the positions of shoulder and lap belts. The lap belt should be situated at the upper thighs. As for the shoulder belt, it should be on the chest.
According to the CDC, children below the age of 13 should be in the back seat. This is because air bags can be destructive if they are sitting in the front.
Check the quality of the seat
- The safety label on the child seat should state that it meets Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 213.
- The seat should have four or five stars by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). This will determine the ease-of-use and simple instructions of the seat.
- The five-point harness/seatbelt will keep the baby safe more than a three-point harness.
Tips to install the seat
After purchasing a car seat with keeping in mind the above-mentioned aspects in mind, you need to install the seat inside the vehicle. The safety should be determined in the process of installing.
Many parents have improperly installed their child seats. This can be hazardous to safety. Check the following steps to securely install the seat.
- Read the seat’s installation guidelines along with the car owner’s manual instructions. You should know how to utilize the seat belts or LATCH system prior to the installation process.
- The child’s seat should be installed only in the rear seat. Until they reach the age of 13 or have a height of 4 feet 9 inches, it is the safest area for them.
- Follow step-by-step instructions while threading the seat belt around the car seat belt and make it tight.
- Buckle the seat belt. Lock it.
- In order to tighten it, press down hard on the seat. The seat is not supposed to move more than 1 inch backwards, forward or side-by-side after it is installed.
- Check the angle of the seat to determine it is reclined correctly.
Extra measures to guarantee your child’s safety
Sometimes the parents forget their child in the vehicle. Other similar incidents might also happen. In order to solve such mishaps, read the following tips that will minimize such risks:
- Remember to lock the car trunk and the vehicle always. Even if the car is parked near home, this will help. Do not let the children reach the keys of the vehicle.
- Make a habit of dropping your phone and purse in the rear seat so that you can always check the back seats to get your belongings before leaving the car.
So this was the basic child seat safety guide. Following these steps will protect your child at all costs. If you’re thinking “Where can I sell my car in Dubai“, check CarSwitch which is the best automotive platform in UAE.