In addition to coming up with your very own natural soil mixtures for your gardens, you will want to boost the growing medium’s performance through soil amendments. These organic additives that most growers include in their growing medium offer countless benefits and very valuable properties that make sure your marijuana seeds go on to become healthy and robust plants that sprout potent buds! Soil amendments for marijuana plants come in all forms and qualities but the most important feature that they offer is the fact that they are composed of natural ingredients.
If you are new to growing marijuana, then you may have a limited idea of what marijuana soil amendments are. While this is normal, it is important to have an understanding of this as early as possible! As soon as you decide to incorporate these soil amendments into your gardens, the plants that you will end up with will be significantly better! We guarantee it!
What are Marijuana Soil Amendments?
Marijuana plants are naturally accustomed to growing in organic and untouched soils in the wild. Because these substrates contain insane amounts of nutrients, minerals, and valuable growing qualities, marijuana plants are allowed to thrive in them. Now that cannabis cultivation is pretty much a domesticated activity for many people around the globe, they have found ways to further improve these substrates!
That’s where marijuana soil amendments come in. These are basically all-organic ingredients that improve the overall quality and performance of your growing medium when cultivating marijuana! Because they will contain virtually no amounts of hazardous chemicals, they are perfectly safe for your plants. Think of them as fertilizers. Surely, you have heard of what they offer to plants, no?
Qualities of Good Soil
Good soil for your marijuana plants can be described as containing a number of qualities and characteristics. Understanding these will also significantly help you determine what marijuana amendments your natural or base soils will require! Let’s check out these qualities:
- Proper Draining – Probably the most influential quality of good soil is its ability to properly drain any excess water that growers give them! Without this, the chances of your roots drowning significantly increase. Also, proper drainage also makes sure that no excess water blocks the flow of nutrients into the roots of your marijuana plants, thereby giving it the ability to absorb all the solutions that it is given.
- Healthy and Rich – Soils rich with inherent nutrients and minerals are obviously much better than stagnant soils. This is evident with the appearance and textures of the growing medium! You will want a nice, dark brown color that feels slightly firm to the touch but also breaks down as you crumble it. This is much better as opposed to a dry, brittle-textured soil that is pale and grey in color.
- Water Retention – The soil that you use should also be able to retain water properly without getting too damp and muddy. With proper water retention, the roots of your marijuana plants will be able to absorb and seep in all the given nutrients and minerals that it is given. Also, holding the ideal amount of water (no excess) is needed in order to keep the roots fresh and hydrated.
Different Marijuana Soil Amendments:
Now, let’s start focusing on the main bit. We know what it takes to make good soil but we should also understand that the properties of soil can be improved using various soil amendments that work in different ways.
Keep in mind, however, that there are dozens of different soil amendments out there! They can either be bought in gardening stores or hardware shops. Or if you are feeling thrifty, then you can also come up with your own set of soil amendments using various organic ingredients!
Here are the most common forms of soil amendments for your marijuana plants:
- Perlite – As perhaps the most common soil amendment used by marijuana growers, perlite can be found in practically any gardening shop out there which makes it very widely accessible. These small, white, rock-like grains are made up of organic volcanic glass extracted from the earth. It is used in order to improve the drainage system and airflow of the soil, allowing the roots to breathe more openly and freely.
- Vermiculite – This certain amendment often goes hand in hand with perlite. As an accessory of such, it further intensifies the properties of perlite and gives the soil a much lighter and smooth feel.
- Coco Fibres – Coco fibres, also known as coco coir, are another organic ingredient taken from the husks of coconuts. These strong, durable fibers improve the soil’s ability to retain and absorb water, acting as a sponge in order to keep the roots hydrated. This boosts their growth rate and helps avoid any overwatering by shouldering the excess water.
- Worm Castings – These worm castings are extremely organic components that contain high doses of inherent nutrients and compounds. They act more of a booster in your soils, enriching them and keeping them healthy for your marijauna plants to thrive. You will definitely have a more robust and earthy feel to your soils as you add an ample amount of worm castings in your soil mixture!
- Bat Guano – Bat guano is another organic compound that will provide your plants with an added boost in nitrogen and phosphorus, two essential nutrients for marijuana growth. This also helps develop healthy communities of bacteria in your gardens, thereby boosting the life in your soils and making for a much faster growth.
Where Can I Buy Marijuana Seeds?
After all this talk about soil amendments, it is now time to pick a place where you can actually purchase fresh and high quality marijuana seeds! Over at SunWest Genetics, we offer only the most premium marijuana strains that you can find anywhere in the world! With years of experience under our belt, we have perfected the process of breeding and developing our genetic pool.
From guaranteed germination rates to safe and discreet shipping, our services are maintained with the highest standards that we can achieve. Come and shop for your marijuana seeds now!