Filing taxes on cryptocurrency gains becomes a requirement under the IRS tax code. If you fail to file the tax on crypto at the right time, you must confront several consequences. Of course, calculating and filing crypto taxes may be a daunting task. But, you should spend time or even get professional assistance to prepare and file the tax report properly. Scroll down your eyes to know the reasons to file the crypto tax!
Things crypto investors keep in mind
Before entering the topic, it is necessary to discuss the pointers that crypto investors should keep in mind. It assists them in making the right decision regarding crypto taxes.
- According to the Union financial bill, income from the transfer of digital assets like cryptocurrency will be taxed at the flat 30% at the end of every financial year.
- There is no deduction except the cost of acquisition allowed when reporting the income from the cryptocurrency transfer.
- Gifting digital assets will attract tax in the hands of the receiver. So, you should receive the crypto as gifts in small numbers to avoid taxes.
- Losses incurred from one digital currency could not be set off against the income from another one. 1% TDS will be allowed according to the financial bill.
Reasons to file the crypto tax
- Crypto tax rules have become effective
Some crypto users believe that guidance and instructions on crypto taxation in India are unclear. They try to use this as an excuse for being non-compliant. Badly, this is not the case. According to the IRS, everyone makes a profit because the crypto transactions are subject to paying the tax.
Crypto taxes are of two types – income tax and capital gains tax. IRS has clearly stated all the general tax rules applicable to crypto assets. Investors must keep an eye on those things and file their taxes correctly to avoid issues in the future.
- Avoid tax audits and penalty
The income tax department utilizes an independent authority to perform audits of all crypto-related transactions. So, if you fail to report your crypto taxes on time, you tend to confront the tax audit. On the other hand, if you sell or trade the cryptocurrency, you become liable to pay the cryptocurrency.
When you fail to file the tax report on time, even after knowing these things, you will get a penalty. Delaying to file the tax return lets you pay simple interest for the time you have taken. You will avoid tax audits and penalties upon filing the crypto tax report.
Steps to follow to file the crypto tax
- Check whether you make any taxable transactions for this financial year
- Gather information about the taxable crypto transactions you make
- Utilize the crypto tax software after gathering all the transaction data
- File taxes with the IRS and state
Hope! This blog would render the perfect answer for your query – how do I file taxes for cryptocurrency? Follow the instructions carefully to fill the crypto tax on time and avoid potential troubles.