When it comes to choosing the right programming language and development framework, it is common for developers and organizations to look into Node.js and Java comparison. Both Java and Node.js are preferred by organizations around the world for building responsive and scalable applications across multiple platforms.
If you are confused about which of the two options you should choose, let us compare Java and Node.js by understanding their uses and benefits.
A Brief Overview Of Java
Java is a popular typified and object-oriented programming language that facilitates stable, scalable, and cross-platform development of applications. Programmers around the world have been using Java for building robust mobile and web applications for several years.
Major Benefits Of Using Java
Here are some of the key benefits of developing applications using Java:
- The object-oriented approach to the programming offered by Java allows developers to reuse objects in multiple programs.
- It is a high-level language and contains a simple syntax with smooth learning curves that make it easier for developers to write, read, and maintain codes.
- The programming language supports multiple libraries, allowing several hosting providers around the world to support Java. Moreover, it is possible for you to use it from any computer.
- Java does not contain any pointers and includes a Security Manager that allows users to specify rules.
- Developers can build Java applications on Windows, compile them into byte code and run them on any platform capable of supporting a Java Virtual Machine (JVM).
- It contains a special system for automatic storage management called a garbage collector. The system is used for identifying and deleting objects that no longer need to be used.
- The multi-threading in Java allows a single code to be used by multiple processors at different execution stages. Here, one thread does not affect the functioning of other threads.
Key Uses Of Java
Here are some of the key uses of Java and the areas where Java development is preferred:
- Developing Android applications
- Building server applications for financial services
- Developing web applications across multiple platforms
- Building software tools
- Designing and developing trading applications
- Building J2ME applications
- Building embedded systems
- Building big data platforms
- Creating high-frequency trading spaces
- Building scientific applications
A Brief Overview Of Node.js
Major Benefits Of Node.js
Here are some of the key benefits of developing applications using Node.js
- It allows developers to use the same language on the client and the server-side.
- It facilitates the speedy development of applications.
- Being a lightweight system, it allows developers to build applications that are lightweight.
- It provides developers with a Node package manager for installing and searching packages.
Key Uses Of Node.js
Here are some of the key uses of Node.js and the areas where Node.js development is preferred:
- Translators and collectors
- Deferred processing and batch processing
- Command-line interfaces
- Document generation
- Delayed report generation
- SPA servers and custom web applications
- APIs and servers for mobile applications
- Developing patches on existing systems written in other languages
- Event broadcasting
- Message servers
- Window applications
- Data collections
- Developing crawlers and parsers
- Microcontroller programming
- Developing content management systems
Major Differences Between Java And Node.js
Here are some of the most important parameters on the basis of which you can compare Java and Node.js:
While Java is an ideal option for building complex and concurrent web-based applications, Node.js is a good choice for developing relatively small-sized projects.
To get started with Java development, developers would need a Java Development Kit. The kit includes a Java compiler along with a runtime environment for running Java in any system. On the other hand, Node.js needs to be installed using an archive file.
Java is ideally used for building complicated web-based applications already having a framework created using Java. On the other hand, Node.js is ideally used for building real-time collaborative editing or drawing applications like Google Docs.
Use Of Multi-threading
While Java uses multi-threading for developing web applications across the board, Node.js does not use this approach for app development. This is why Java is often used for building large-scale projects involving concurrency and Node.js isn’t as it cannot handle the thread as well as Java.
Java development is often used for undertaking CPU-intensive tasks that call for considerable computational power. On the other hand, Node.js is largely used for I/O bound operations such as media streaming, live chats, etc.
Java Vs Node.js: Which Is A Better Option?
Looking at the uses, benefits, and comparable parameters for Java and Node.js, it is safe to say that the option that is ideal for you would depend on your specific needs and preferences. Both Node.js and Java have unique features and their own sets of shortcomings.
Before you choose the most ideal alternative for developing your applications, make sure you assess your business needs and the technical requirements of the applications to be built. An in-depth understanding of both entities would help you in making the right choice.