If you like spices, kebabs and grilled food, this recipe is for you!
Made with bell peppers, red onion and boneless chicken, Chicken Shashlik is the perfect dinner dish in the Indo-Pak region. This Indo-Chinese recipe takes its name from the word ‘Shashlik’, meaning skewered and grilled meat. The traditional Shashlik involves mutton; however, Shashlik with chicken is now common in restaurants.
But going to the restaurants, you don’t know whether it’s halal organic chicken or not. So, in this post, we are going to teach you how to make Chicken Shashlik at home so you can use your own healthy and organic chicken!
Ingredients for Organic Chicken Shashlik (4 Servings):
- Organic Chicken (boneless) 500 grams
- Tomatoes 2 (medium-sized)
- Yoghurt (curd) 2 tablespoon
- Ginger 2-inch long
- Coriander Powder 1 teaspoon
- Powdered Red Chilli 2 teaspoon
- Onion 1 (medium-sized)
- Capsicum (green pepper) 1 (medium-sized)
- Garlic 6 Cloves
- Black Pepper 1 teaspoon
- Pureed Tomato 5 teaspoon
- Butter 4 tablespoon
For the marinade:
- Take the onion, tomatoes and capsicum, chop them and keep them aside.
- Now take the garlic and ginger and make a paste.
- Take a bowl and mix garlic and ginger paste, black pepper, coriander, chilli powder, salt, yoghurt and tomato puree.
- Now the marinade is ready! Add the boneless organic chicken to the marinade and mix well.
- Once all the pieces are coated in the marinade properly, add vegetables.
- Cover your bowl and place it in the refrigerator for 2-3 hours.
Grilling the Skewers:
- Begin by threading the organic chicken on the skewers. Make sure you alternate the onions, tomatoes and capsicum chunks.
- Brush your organic chicken with butter.
- Now grill the chicken until it’s golden brown in colour.
- You can also pan grill your organic chicken pieces. For that, turn your pan at a low flame.
- Now add your chicken and keep turning it to prevent burning.
- You may need to cover or uncover the pan when the chicken is cooking, all the while adding butter.
- Now, place the chicken skewers on a heated iron pad for a sizzling effect.
- Splash the skewers with oil and water.
- Your Chicken Shashlik is ready to be served!
You can serve your Shashlik simply with mint chutney, or you can turn it into an entire meal by serving it with some rice or noodles. While cooking the Shashlik, make sure that your organic chicken is cut into small pieces. If the pieces are too large, they may fall off the skewers and make a mess!
Furthermore, make sure you give the chicken enough time to marinate. A longer marination time helps the flavour to seep through the chicken and into its core. In this way, the flavour doesn’t just reside on the outer layer of the chicken but throughout every piece. Smaller pieces also help the flavour to completely seep into your organic chicken.
So, there you have it! A halal organic meat dish ready to be served to your kids, guests or family! Have fun!