There’s no doubt that you might be very familiar with the many resort experiences offered in Cancun and Riviera Maya. You may have even been there a few times and experienced several of the all-inclusive resort options. But, have no fear, you can also still get off the beaten path and find authentic experiences that allow for quiet relaxation and celebration of Mexican culture and history.
14 Ways to Enhance Your Yucatan Peninsula Experience
- Opt for smaller hotels with their own private beaches, such as Mahekal Beach Resort, Barcelo Maya Caribe, or The Fives Beach Hotel & Residences.
- Visit one of the 7,000 cenotes in the Yucatan Peninsula and gain an understanding of their historical significance.
- Stay dry in a glass-bottom boat tour of underwater sculptures and marine life in the reef of Punta Nizuc at the Cancun Underwater Museum of Art (MUSA).
- Try an adults only resort for a little more quiet, such as, Live Aqua Beach Resort Cancun.
- Sample street food, gourmet dishes, tequila, and mezcal on a guided food tour.
- Visit a local market and learn how to use a stone mortar and clay pots as part of a 4-course cooking class.
- Be enchanted by a dazzling sunset and a romantic dinner on a Spanish Galleon in the Gulf of Mexico.
- Take part in a traditional temazcal ceremony (cleansing ritual) led by a Maya Shaman.
- Go on an archaeological exploration through the mangroves of Sian Ka’an, a UNESCO Biosphere Reserve.
- Visit the pink lakes of Las Coloradas to take in the magenta pink hues with your eyes but no swimming in these salt lakes.
- Experience a Mayan Secret Spa treatment that combines the power of stones with the essential oils of the region to help you release tension and harmonize the body at Live Aqua Spa.
- Brides can go casual chic, luxury glam, or for pure nature in creating the destination weddings of their dreams (sometimes for free!).
- Wander through the colonial facades to spot the hidden gems in downtown Cancun’s street art scene.
- Don’t head home without trying authentic foods like marquesitas ( crispy crepes with sweet fillings).
- Experience Xoximilco Cancun: a Mexican floating fiesta with carnival games, live music, traditional Mexican foods, on a colorful trajinera (traditional barge).
Best Authentic Mexican Souvenirs
There’s no time for or space for consuming things you don’t love so here’s 4 souvenirs that are perfect for bringing a bit of Mexico back with you. Three are completely consumable and the other is sure to be treasured always.
- Mexico is the largest producer of organic coffee in the world. So, go ahead and bring back some coffee beans.
- You’re sure to find a beautiful piece of silver jewelry or a set of silverware since Taxco, Mexico is famous for its silver work.
- If you like spices, a bottle of hot sauce is not a bad idea.
- Mexican chocolate can be used for hot chocolate drinks or chocolate bark and flavored with hints of chiles.
From the tropical jungle to the hidden ruins, Mexico has more to offer than fresh tortillas. However, we wouldn’t mind some of those as well. Make time for modern gastronomy, personalized cocktail experiences, and immersive culinary adventures. It is still possible to make genuine, captivating memories in Cancun and the Riviera Maya.
Book one of the many adults only resorts for a little more quiet, such as, Live Aqua Beach Resort Cancun.