How to Get Permanent Residency in Canada After Graduation

How to Get Permanent Residency in Canada After Graduation

Canada is an incredible country to start a career in because it is the number one best-ranked country for quality of life in the world. This is also for countless reasons that range from the country’s thousands of job opportunities, economic and political stability, social and cultural acceptance, beautiful landscapes and vibrant cities, free healthcare and subsidized education, and safety.

Given all of these incredible features, Canada is the perfect place for anyone that wants to explore a new country after graduation. It is also ideal to get a temporary job to gain work experience in the country, which can open doors for post-graduate students to eventually, apply for Permanent Residency (PR) in Canada.      

Since getting work experience in Canada can help you on your immigration journey, you can learn more about how to get permanent residency in Canada after graduation right here. 

Choose Express Entry to Gain Permanent Residency in Canada as an International Student or Graduate

The Canadian Express Entry system was introduced in 2015 and has helped thousands of immigrants get a Canadian visa and apply for PR in Canada.  

Since it was created, the Express Entry system has been tweaked and improved to benefit international students that want to complete their studies and work temporarily in Canada. 

If you apply with a Canadian post-secondary educational credential through the Express Entry System, you can get an additional 30 CRS (Comprehensive Ranking System, a medium to score candidates that apply through Express Entry) points when you enter the Express Entry pool. This can increase the probability of a positive outcome for your application.

When you apply through the Express Entry system, your application will enter the Express Entry draw, where you will be ranked against other applicants based on your CRS score. For this reason, your goal must be to earn as many points as possible to receive an Invitation to Apply (ITA) for permanent residency from the Canadian government. The Express Entry draw takes place every two weeks.

If your application is successful and you receive an ITA, you have 60 days to submit a complete application, which follows with the Canadian government processing your application within six months.

As an international student or postgraduate, you stand a good chance of getting permanent resident status in Canada because the Canadian government favors young applicants that are eligible to work in Canada.  

There are two main programs managed under the Express Entry system for international students and postgraduates, which include:

  1. Canadian Experience Class (CEC)

If you would like to immigrate to Canada through a standard route for permanent residence, then the Canadian Experience Class program is the best Express Entry program available for you.         

The CEC program allows people that have worked in Canada for a minimum of one year to immigrate to the country permanently.   

Once you have graduated, the Canadian Experience Class (CEC) requirements to help you gain permanent residency in Canada include the following:

  • Applying for a post-graduation work permit
  • Completing at least one year of skilled work
  • Proving your language abilities (English or French) through a test 
  • Entering the Express Entry pool with a high CRS score

Click here to learn more about the Canadian Experience Class and how to apply.

  • Federal Skilled Worker Program

The second Express Entry option is for anyone that hasn’t completed a year of skilled work in Canada yet but has done so elsewhere.    

The Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP) requires you to score a minimum of 67 points out of 100 that assesses the following requirements:  

  • Age
  • Work experience
  • Language ability
  • Job offer in Canada (if any)
  • Adaptability to life Canada

Become a Permanent Resident in Canada in 2021

Being an international or postgraduate student can be an exciting time. Right now, all you want to do is explore and discover more of the world.   

Luckily, Canada’s incredible immigration system makes this easy. If you are interested in learning more about how to get permanent residency in Canada after graduation, you can get in touch with an ICCRC-registered Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant (RCIC). 

Apply for PR in Canada in 2021 with and live your Canadian dream.  

Share your love
Christophe Rude

Christophe Rude

Articles: 15888

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *