Owing to continuous usage of the jigsaw the blades wear out and make the cutting process extremely difficult. If the blades are also not sharp enough, it compromises the cutting quality. We can say that the tool is only good enough if the blades are good otherwise it will be useless. Under these circumstances, you need to change the blades immediately. Some people also recommend the sharpening of the blades and reuse them but it would not be much helpful as the blades are quite cheap and the only good option will be to change them. In this regard, you can also take help from saw adviser that either you should change the blade or sharpen the old one. However, for high-quality cuts, you cannot compromise on the quality of your blades as it might deteriorate your overall project.
Blade changing system
While buying a jigsaw, you must look at the blade changing mechanism of the jigsaw. Older models usually come with a screw for blade changing and it might be time-consuming. But the modern jigsaw has a tool-free blade changing system. You don’t need to have any extra tool the blade will just come out with the help of simple mechanism.
Many new models also come with a spring-loaded lever to eject the blades. The advanced jigsaw machines are not only effective but also safe to use. While cutting the blades become hot and it is quite dangerous to touch the blades in this condition. Thus, in the modern mechanism, you can easily change the blades without even touching them.
Why do you need to change the jigsaw blades?
Jigsaw blades at some point become wear down and it doesn’t matter which quality blades you are using in your jigsaw. But it must not be a big issue for you if you can change the blades in a few minutes and resume your cutting process. However, there are several reasons which urge you to change the blades. Some of the most prominent causes are given as:
- If you have to push the jigsaw through hard rock.
- If the quality of the cutting has been compromised.
- If the blade teeth are not sharp enough and have become rounded.
- If the blade doesn’t follow the cutting line.
- If there is a breakage sign on the blade.
- If the jigsaw doesn’t make precise and clean cuts.
How to change a jigsaw blade—step by step guide
There are different older and modern jigsaw machines available in the market. Both of these devices have their blade changing system. Let’s have a look at them one by one.
Tool-less blade changing system in the modern machines
Modern jigsaws release the blades automatically from the lever. You need to adopt the following steps for removing blades from this kind of machines.
- You must have a new blade available for replacement.
- Loose the lever and if you don’t know about the location of the lever then you must check the manual.
- Eject the blade from the clamp. Some machines will eject them automatically while others will take some time.
- Insert new blade and keep face away from the jigsaw.
- In the end, you must ensure that the lever has been tightened and back to its position.
Tool-engaged blade changing system in the older machines
Older machines don’t come with a lever which can eject the lever automatically. Thus, you need to follow the following steps to remove blades from these tools.
- Apply Allen key or screwdriver for loosening the screw.
- Let the blade out of its clamp once the screw has been removed.
- Insert the new blade in the same position old blade had been placed.
- At the screw firmly to keep the blade in its place.
Generally, both of these methods are utilized for changing the blades of the jigsaw. While applying both of these methods, you must be extra careful about your safety to avoid any incident. You need to have proper protective clothing for changing the blades of the jigsaw.
There is no rocket science in the changing the blade of the jigsaw. You just need to follow certain points in this process. It will enhance your productivity and minimize the downtime when you know how to change a jigsaw blade. At the first time, it may appear difficult but once you do it again and again you will become an expert in it.