Our skin acts as the body’s protective barrier and is the largest sense organ. But in the cold season, it itself needs protection, in particular from the negative impact of the environment. Therefore, in order for the skin to remain healthy and protected during the winter, it is necessary to properly care for it. There are many skincare brands that will help you keep your appearance fresh and your skin moisturized. The main thing is to carefully choose the means that will suit you best.
As experts explain, in winter, the change in weather conditions and the cold wind dehydrate the skin and damage the epidermis of open areas. In addition, in the cold season, the sebaceous glands produce less skin secretion, so the hydrolipidic membrane of the skin becomes thinner and more vulnerable.
To take care of dry skin in winter, you should follow the following recommendations:
- Cover exposed body parts in cold and windy weather. In winter, wear a hat, scarf, and gloves.
- Wear rubber gloves when washing dishes and using harsh detergents.
- Use a moisturizing cream. Talk to your doctor about which cream is right for you, especially if you have additional complications like acne or others.
- Use shower gels with moisturizing components.
- Use a humidifier in winter.
- Do not wash with hot water, but with warm.
- Pat your skin with a towel after showering, but don’t rub.
- Use sunscreen, even in cloudy weather. Buy products with an SPF of at least 30 with protection against UVA and UVB rays.
- You should also avoid eating spicy food and alcohol. It is useful to spray thermal water on the skin during the day when you are indoors, and also to drink 1.5-2 liters of water per day.
If dry skin is not properly cared for, it can lead to atopic dermatitis (eczema) or associated infections.
How to use the selected tools?
The main rule of skin care in winter is to apply the cream 40 minutes before going outside. It is important that the cream is completely absorbed into the skin. If you apply too much cream, blot the skin with a paper towel. An extra layer of cream can crystallize in the cold and lead to the formation of microcracks.
- Use a moisturizing mask twice a week. It helps to reduce irritation, redness, and peeling and saturates the skin with additional moisture.
- If you plan to spend your vacation in the mountains in winter, be sure to use sunscreen cosmetics with a high UV factor. higher The combination of low temperatures and direct sunlight can negatively affect the condition of the skin, the effect can be the same as in summer near the sea.
- The level of UV protection factor (SPF) depends on your skin type – the lighter it is, the more protection it needs. It is important to pay attention to the fact that the product protects against both B-rays and A-rays. This must be indicated on the package of the product. For example UVB & UVA.
In winter, it is necessary to take care of the condition of the skin not only from the outside but also from the inside. Do not forget about vitamins, especially A, E, D, C. Include more fruits and vegetables, and nuts in your diet – your skin will always be healthy and well-groomed.
If you cannot solve your skin problems on your own, do not self-medicate, but ask a doctor! After all, only a qualified dermatologist will treat the health of your skin professionally.
Tips for problem skin
Most cases of dry skin can be corrected with home care, but be sure to see a dermatologist if:
- the condition of your skin does not improve, even if you take good care of it;
- dry skin causes redness;
- itching and dry skin cause constant discomfort;
- you have open ulcers on the skin that do not heal for a long time;
- large areas of skin peel or peel.
Often in winter, our skin lacks natural radiance, it becomes dull. Also, pigmentation may appear after active exposure to ultraviolet rays in the summer. Vitamin C restores the epidermis after negative sun exposure, evens out and improves skin tone, and strengthens it.
Problem skin with rashes of varying intensity requires careful selection of care. In the cold season, in order not to increase the stress on the skin, preference should be given not to aggressive, but too gentle and effective products. Do not abuse cleansing and matting cosmetics, avoid mineral oils and paraffin in the composition.