How to Apply for student visas?

You are a foreign student and you want to go to Spain to study.

In this article, I will explain all you need to know about the student visa to go to Spain

What is a student visa?

The student visa is the residence permit that allows non-EU citizens to stay in Spain while studying, researching, or attending a training program in public or private educational centers.

This visa is reserved for non-EU citizens.

The student visa is not an ordinary residence permit; it allows a person to live in Spain while studying.

When calculating the time needed to obtain permanent residence in Spain or Spanish nationality, the years spent on a student visa will be counted as half.

Student from the European Union

Students from European Union (EU) and European Economic Area (EEA) countries do not need a student visa to study in Spain.

Foreigners who plan to stay in Spain for more than 90 days are required to apply for a residence permit or a foreigner’s identity card (TIE) within 30 days of their arrival. The Foreigners’ Office (Oficina de Extranjeros) is responsible for issuing these documents. is offer services that can help you with:
– Filling SPTH forms

– Booking hotels and flight platform
– Concierge services.

Procedure for students from outside the European Union

What are the different documents to be provided?

-You must provide a valid passport.

-A letter from the bank attesting to your financial situation will help you obtain a visa.

-Medical insurance that fully covers your expenses while you are studying abroad in Spain.

-Proof of financial resources and accommodations required in your application.

-You must provide a medical certificate for your trip that certifies that you do not have an illness with serious public health implications.

-The applicant must provide a criminal record for Spain and the last five years of residence in other countries, for offenses covered by Spanish law.

Citizens of some countries are allowed to enter Spain on a tourist visa and then apply for a student visa, but citizens of other countries must return to their home country to apply.

To avoid delays or rejections, apply for your passport at least two to three months before your trip.

What are the different types of student visas?

Depending on the length of your studies, there are two types of student visas available:

Short-term student visas are designed for study periods of 91 to 180 days.

Students can apply for a long-term residence visa for the country if they plan to study there for more than 6 months.

Students who are not EU citizens do not need to apply for a student permit if their studies last less than 90 days. They can use their tourist visa to enter the country.

What if you want to work as a student?

Student visas in Spain allow students to work part-time while studying.

International students can apply for a work permit from the local authorities. However, they can only work while studying in Spain until their student visa expires.

Spain has a high demand for student visas, and you should apply at least one month before your departure date if you want to avoid delays.

How to bring family or friends?

If you obtain a study visa for Spain, your spouse, domestic partner, child(ren) under the age of eighteen, or disabled child(ren) may apply for visas to enter and live legally with you.

Vaccine recommended before leaving for Spain

To protect against diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis (which can reappear in adults), polio, hepatitis A and B, visitors must be vaccinated.

As well as the vaccine against Covid-19.

About the internships

It is possible to do an unpaid internship in Spain with a student visa.

The total number of hours you can work per week, including class and work hours, is forty.

However, you must still spend 5 hours per week in class and you cannot have more than 20 hours of internship per week.

2 types of internships:

On the one hand, there is a curricular internship. This form of the internship is tied to your studies, and you often have to sign an agreement with your university as well as the company where you are gaining work experience. You cannot use the income you earn here to demonstrate that you have sufficient economic funds.

On the other hand, you can take advantage of an extracurricular internship. In this case, you will need to apply for authorization for your internship from the corresponding immigration office.

How to find an accommodation

Student Residences:

This is the best choice for many international students, and rightly so. They offer maximum convenience and the ability to pay all bills and rent in one bill. You also have the opportunity to meet other students in your residence. Many residences also have kitchens, dining rooms, and laundry facilities.

Private Residences: 

Many students live in private homes or apartments. You can easily browse the options offered by online rental agencies, filtering by price, location, and property type. You can also try looking at online ads posted by student groups looking for new roommates to join them.

Host Families:

Staying with a host family while in Spain is a great way to immerse yourself in the culture. Many websites will match you with a Spanish family based on your preferences, and you may be able to arrange for your host family to provide you with some meals or do your laundry during your stay.


  1. Can I stay in Spain after graduation?

The validity of your student visa is conditioned by the duration of your studies. This means that once you have completed your studies, you will not be able to renew or extend your student permit.

  1. How many hours per week are you allowed to work?

The maximum number of hours you are allowed to work each week is 40; however, the total number of hours you may work between school and work cannot exceed 20 hours per week.

If you only take classes for 5 hours a week, you cannot legally work more than 20 hours a week.

  1. Will I need an (NIE)?

The NIE (Número de Identificación de Extranjero) is the identification number that every foreigner needs in Spain. However, in most cases, this number will be issued with your visa. If not, you will need to apply for the NIE number upon arrival in Spain.

In any case, you must obtain a residence permit as a foreigner.
Feel this form for more information:

Share your love
Christophe Rude

Christophe Rude

Articles: 15888

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *