A marriage certificate is a proof that you’re legally married to someone. Also, to avail of several services or benefits, such as health benefits, taxation, or an insurance policy, you may require to submit the certificate to the authority.
However, getting a marriage certificate may take a while—for example, getting a marriage licence in Saskatoon may take up to six weeks. You have to apply with the necessary documents.
Let’s know how to get a marriage certificate and other eligibility criteria in this article.
Eligibility of Marriage Certificate
There are 4 categories of people who are eligible to get a marriage certificate:
- You or your spouse who got married
- An adult child (age 18+)
- A custodial guardian
- Estate executor
How Long Does It Take to Get a Marriage Certificate in Saskatchewan?
After applying, it takes four to six weeks to get a marriage certificate in Saskatchewan. However, you should remember that this time limit doesn’t include the mail time.
While getting married or engaged, getting a marriage certificate is important. In some cases, spouses try to change their last names after marriage. This is possible if you have all the necessary documents.
How to Get a Marriage Certificate in Saskatchewan?
When you get married, you will receive a document from your officiant. This document will contain all the necessary information, but this is not the marriage certificate. You must apply online for the certificate.
The marriage license should be completed and processed at the Vital Statistics Office. They would register this marriage and then apply for the certificate.
The process to get a marriage certificate online:
- Go to the home page and select Certificate Type.” Make sure you follow all the necessary processes to get the certificate properly.
- Next, you have to select the “Next” option.
- Fill up all the necessary information in the online application. There are around 3 steps that you should complete.
- Then, pay for your marriage certificate using a credit card.
- Within an hour, you will get a confirmation. Soon after, your application would start processing based on your chosen service.
- If you have any problems, a representative will contact you through email.
- In 4-6 weeks, you will get the marriage certificate in the mail or courier. This step would depend on the option you choose.
Note that: The marriage certificate requires a copy of the Registration of Marriage document. The applicant will be informed if the document is missing.
How much does it cost to get a marriage certificate?
There are three different options to obtain proof of your marriage in Canada. The fees are as follows:
- Certificates – $35 or $40 ; Contains information extracted from original registration
- Certified Photocopy of registration – $55; It’s a duplicate of the original registration.
- Genealogical Photocopy of registration – $55; For genealogy only.
- Registration Search – $25 for each search period of 3 or less consecutive years.
How to Get a Marriage License in Saskatchewan?
It would be best to get a marriage license before 1-90 days of your marriage. Here are a few steps to help you:
- Get your documents together
You would require 2 pieces of government-issued identification—for instance, a passport, driver’s license, PR card, etc. If you have married before, you need to prove that you are widowed or divorced. If your age is 16/17, your guardian or parent’s consent is required.
- Search for a marriage issuer
There are many search tools for searching for a marriage issuer. You can visit them with your documents.
But they will ask you to complete the application and sign the statuary declaration. Within a day, you have your license in hand. In rare cases, it could take 90 days.
- Give the document to the officiant
An officiant can be a marriage commissioner or religious representative. These people would process your paper to the Registration of Marriage.
Importance of Marriage Certificate in Saskatchewan
A marriage certificate is very important in Saskatchewan. This is a legal document from the government that proves a couple is married.
This document can be used for different purposes like:
- Apply for children and spouse rights
- Required for social benefits
- Required for purchasing an estate
- To change name
- Divorce application
- Documentation of family history.
By now, you might get your answers to “how long does it take to get a marriage certificate in Saskatchewan. A marriage certificate is very important for different reasons, and the processes are also very easy. If you still find it tough, you can always consult a lawyer.