To have a better understanding of this process, we should first understand the basic structure of the seed and how it works. Basically it’s the tiny plant parts consisting of the root cap, a couple of cotyledons, and other membranes that are all housed in a hard outer shell. When these seeds get wet and are situated in the perfect conditions, the outer shell will split allowing a single stalk or a taproot to emerge and develop. The two other things needed to complete and create that environment is air and heat.
Once all of these processes are in action, normally it will only take around 24 to 48 hours before we can see some progress. However, some seeds may take a bit longer than others and this is perfectly fine.
How to Germinate Cannabis Seeds | Correctly at Home
Among many growers, there are a lot of different styles and strategies on how each of them do this, but here we will stick to the 2 most popular and simple ways to germinate marijuana seeds without sacrificing efficiency. Get trending gist and news on Multiloaded News. This age old reliable method is also widely used among novice and professional growers with minor tweaks here and there.
With maybe a difference of tools and equipment from the pros, we can actually recreate this method “professionally” and at home by only using some household items and distilled water.
Yes, it’s that simple! Remember that marijuana seeds only need 3 things in order to germinate and that is water, heat and air.
If these 3 pre-requisites fall into place and together with using high quality cannabis seeds, then you are well on your way in seeing your little plant sprout in no time. It is always best to keep an eye on it and check at least once a day.
Easy Methods to Germinate Marijuana Seeds at Home
Method 1: Wet Paper Towel Method
Things you’ll need:
- 4 sheets paper towel
- 2 plastic plate
- Distilled water
- Take 4 sheets of paper towels and wet them with distilled water. Let them drain fully.
- Take 2 sheets of the wet paper towels and nicely lay them on to a paper plate.
- Arrange your seeds in even spacing around 1 inch apart over the wet paper towel
- Cover with the other 2 sheets of wet paper towel.
- Cover everything with the 2nd plastic plate to recreate a dark environment.
- Waiting game – We wait and check regularly.
Make sure to check at least once a day and do not let the paper towels dry out. In case they are drying out faster than expected, use a spray bottle to lightly moisten them again. These cannabis seeds should sprout in the next 24 to 48 hours.
Method 2: Germinating directly in Soil or Growing Medium
Here are some tips that you can use to increase your chances of getting a successful germination from your cannabis seeds. By doing these simple steps, you can also increase the chance of your seedlings to grow into these magnificent plants eventually.
- Soak your seeds in water for 12 to 24 hours,
- Seeds that fall to the bottom and those that has cracked and exposed is taproot is the most viable seeds in that batch
- Use the right type and high quality potting mix or soiless mix
- Use mild fertilizers if you wish to improve your potting medium
- Always start with a small pot and increase its size as you go by transplanting them.
- You may need to transplant as much as 3 times along the marijuana plant’s lifespan.
- Make sure to water the growing medium thoroughly and allow it to drain through the holes before planting the seed.
- Make sure your pot has enough water drainage.
- Plant you Cannabis seeds around 1/2 of an inch and don’t go more than an inch deep.
- When covering the seed with soil, do not press down and just gently push some soil on top.
- Water lightly with distilled water and do not give nutrients at this point.
- Position in a warm spot in your garden, preferably an area that gets some sun in the morning and eventually becomes shaded the rest of the day.
These steps are easy to do and require no further complications. Just follow the tips and the steps provided and you will be germinating like a professional at home. Furthermore, make sure you only buy the top quality cannabis seeds that you can afford to ensure you get what you are looking for. If possible,try using feminized marijuana seeds as this will guarantee that you will be getting those always wanted buds or flowers that we love. Remember, Marijuana is like most of the flowering plants out there and may require your time, care and attention to prosper! Happy Growing!