Uttarpradesh is the most populous state of India. It is also the most populated subdivision of a country in the whole world. It is the fourth largest state in India. The economy of this state is the second largest in the country. Lucknow is the capital of the state but Kanpur is the financial capital. UP is well known for its sugar production, but lately, the sector dominating the state economy is the service industry, which includes tourism, hotel industry, real estate, and financial consultancies. Noida, Kanpur, and Lucknow are some of the major IT hubs in India which house the headquarters of some of the major corporate, media, and financial institutions. Sonebhadra is the home for large-scale industries and is known as the Energy Capital of India. The agricultural industry of Uttar Pradesh employs more than 9 million people. MSME sector comes next.
Several prestigious universities of UP are known worldwide for their quality education. Rambhadracharya Handicapped University is the only university established exclusively for the disabled in the world. The presence of such universities and institutions helps the students of UP in achieving a better career. To get admission into one of these institutes, the candidate must appear in an entrance exam conducted at a national, state, or institutional level.
Some of the famous entrance exam scores that are accepted in Uttar Pradesh are:
- UPCET (Uttar Pradesh Combined Entrance Test)
- JEE Mains
- JEE Advanced
- Joint Entrance Examination Council Uttar Pradesh (JEECUP)
- Common Admission Test
- Management Aptitude Test
Uttar Pradesh Combined Entrance Test
Uttar Pradesh Combined Entrance Test (UPCET), formerly known as UPSEE, is a state-level entrance exam conducted by National Testing Agency (NTA). This is a computer-based (Online) exam. The exam duration is 2-3 hours, depending on the course, and the type of questions will be MCQs. The medium of the exam will be English and Hindi for UG courses, but only English for PG courses. Until 2020, the candidates are offered B.tech and B.Arch admissions based on theirUPCET scores. Still, Abdul Kalam Technical University (AKTU) will instead use JEE Main score for filling 1.5 lakh seats at 750 engineering colleges of the state. JEE Main is a national-level entrance exam conducted by the National Testing Agency (NTA) to offer B.Tech/ B.E., B. Plan, and B. Arch. in top engineering colleges across India NITs and IIITs. Even though B.Tech is excluded; various other UG and PG courses are offered under UPCET.
Some of the colleges accepting this entrance test are:
- Harcourt Butler Technical University, Kanpur
- ABES Engineering College, Ghaziabad
- Ajay Kumar Garg Engineering College, Ghaziabad
- GL Bajaj Institute of Technology and Management, Greater Noida
- Galgotias College of Engineering and Technology, Greater Noida
- JSS Academy of Technical Education, Noida
- KIET Group of Institutions, Ghaziabad
- Sharda University, Greater Noida
Joint Entrance Examination Council Uttar Pradesh
JEECUP is a state-level entrance exam conducted by the Joint Entrance Examination Council, Uttar Pradesh. This is an offline (Pen and Paper) exam. The duration of the exam is 3 hours for a total of 100 MCQs. The syllabus depends on the individual papers. This exam provides admission into diploma courses of Technology, Engineering, and Pharmacy at institutes associated with the Board of Technical Education, Uttar Pradesh. This exam is conducted once every year.
Some of the colleges accepting JEECUP are:
- Government Polytechnic, Jaunpur
- Government Polytechnic, Lakhimpur Kheri
- Ambition Institute of Technology, Varanasi
- Rameshwaram Institute of Technology and Management, Lucknow
- Prasad Polytechnic, Lucknow
- Goel Institute of Technology and Management, Lucknow
- Aeronautical Training Institute, Lucknow
- Kamla Nehru Institute of Physical and Social Sciences, Sultanpur
There are various other institutional level entrance tests too. Depending on the requirements of the candidate, they have to choose the entrance test they need to appear in.