Dry eye is now becoming a significant issue found in adults. The dry eye leads to itching, irritation, redness, and finally resulting in pain. If someone struggles with seasonal or regular eye dryness, the person might go through the worst irritations throughout the day. Perhaps, making your nights also miserable.
The primary factor of dry eyes when the production of tears is less or not enough. When a person blinks, the underside of the eyelid delivers moisture over the cornea. This is missing when going through dry eye disease. The electric heated dry eye mask is readily available to prevent the issue.
There are several other reasons that develop the issue, like diabetes, thyroid, sleep disorder, sarcoid disease, etc. Even women experience dry eye problems due to hormonal changes associated with menopause. High dosage medicines cause dry eyes; better to talk to your doctor to change the prescription.
Why Are Your Eyes More Drier at Night?
Many people have raised questions about why they wake up with dry eyes or face the issue during the night. Let’s know some essential pointers:
Nocturnal lagophthalmos is the issue when a person is unable to close the eyelids while sleeping. This is due to the weakness of the seventh cranial nerve, also called the facial nerve. Facial nerve weakness also includes jaw trauma, injury to the cerebellar artery, etc.
➤ Quality of Tear
Our tears have three layers ( water, mucus, and oil layer) that nourish the eye surface. What do all these layers do? The water layer hydrates the eye, whereas the oil layer prevents evaporation of the water layer. And last, the mucus layer spread the tears proportionately. These layers maintain the quality of tears, and any layer deterioration affects the teardrop quality. The dry eye mask is beneficial to use at night that heals the layers.
The production of tears is processed by glands around & in the eyelids. Lack of tears production is the cause of dry eye issues. But what factors contribute to not producing enough tears:
- Age: Age is a natural factor that gives rise to dry eye problems. With age, a person faces many issues, and this can be one of them. The symptoms show after the age of 65.
- Medical Conditions: As discussed above, people going through regular medication is the cause of dry eye. High dosage observes the moisture and creates dryness inside the eyes, which leads to eyelid inflammation.
What are the Ways to Prevent the Issue?
The first step is to visit a doctor to understand the reasons behind the dry eye. The doctor recommends some treatment options like:
- Artificial teardrops: Recommend some specific eye drops for day & night to lubricate your eyes.
- Punctal Occlusion: It’s a process where the doctor shuts the duct that drains or produces tears.
- Thermal Pulsation. When glands stop the flow of adequate tears, the doctors follow the thermal pulsations system. The system involves heating & massaging to prevent blockage.
- Antibiotics: Sometimes the issue is not severe and can be controlled by a few antibiotics to reduce inflammation.
Natural Remedies to Follow with Prescriptions:
- Warm Compresses: Soak a clean cloth in lukewarm water and keep it on your eyes. Gently press it against the eyelids. Do the process two times in a week.
- Washing Eyelids: To prevent eyelid inflammation, wash eyelid with mild soap and warm water. Massage very carefully with the soap near to the base of eyelashes.
- Drink Water: Ensure your body is hydrated by drinking 8-12 glasses of water per day.
- Dry Eye Sleep Mask: Use a mask before going to bed or whenever you get time. It’s beneficial and saves you time in contrast to other natural remedies. Moreover, you’ll get instant relief by regular usage.