Chennai is the capital of TamilNadu, more than 113 post offices are listed under Chennai district. The word PIN in the pin code indicates Postal Index Number, a6 digit code assigned by India Post to make sorting the posts easier and to eliminate errors in dispatching. Under this listed Chennai Pin code, older, famous, and memorable pin codes share sensitive facts, one such area is Adyar.
Chennai Pin code: 600 020 – Adyar
The name Adyar comes from the Tamil ‘Adai’ which means clogged. It is located on a flat coastal plain near the Adyar river. This Chennai pin code– 600 020 (Adyar) surrounded by Tharamani in the west, Thiruvanmiyur to the south, Best Nagar in the east, and Kotturpuram in the north. Adyar and Guindy were once used as hunting grounds by British officials of fortSt.George from 1680 onwards, though Adyar is mentioned as the suburb of Madras. From the year 1740, the British purchased the village and integrated it with Madras Presidency
Adyar started to grow rapidly only in the 20th century due to the foundation of the headquarters of Theosophical Society by Mrs. Helena Blavatsky in 1883. This Chennai Pin code was included within the Chennai Corporation limits in 1948. Other well-known and memorable places of Adyar are Elliot’s beach, Central Leather Research Institute, IIT Madras, Anna University, National Institute of Fashion Technology, Adyar Cancer Institute, Asian college of Journalism, The Environmentalist Foundation of India are all located in adjacent neighborhoods. Kalakshetra, a cultural organization to promote traditional arts and culture was established by Rukmini Devi Arundale in 1936.
Schools include a very big campus, St. Patrick’s Anglo Indian Higher Secondary School which was started in 1875 was the oldest of this Chennai Pin Code. Other schools were Kendriya Vidyalaya, Sishya, St.Johns English School, The School KFI, The Chennai School (International Baccalaureate) are known for their standards and quality. Adyar has become costliest, posch, and economically sound.
Chennai Pincode 600 002 – Anna Salai
Anna Salai is formerly known as St.Thomas Mount Road or Mount Road. It is more than 400 years old and is acknowledged as the most important road in Chennai city. It is the second-longest road in Chennai, after EVR PeriyarSalai. In this Chennai Pin Code, the most important post office in the city Anna SalaiHead Post office is located. Nomenclature of this Head post office was changed from Mount Road Head Post Office to Anna Road Head Post office on 15th September 1974.
With the construction of the Marmalong Bridge in 1724, the road started gaining prominence. In the following year, the road became part of the city’s central business which originally covered only George town. Today most of Chennai’s business and corporate offices are located on Anna Salai. Anna Salai starts from the ParkTown area of Chennai city where Chennai Central is located. It traverses the Island with its statue of Sir Thomas Muno to the other side of the Coovum before entering the neighborhoods of Thousand lights and Teynampet areas.
- Thousand lights Mosque was built in the early 1800
- The Mail built in 1921
- The Hindu
- The British Council
- L.I.C Building (Chennai’s first skyscraper)
- Spencer Plaza
- Higgin Botham’s (India’s oldest book shop)
- American Consulate
These are very important landmarks of this Chennai Pin Code.
Chennai Pin Code – 600 017 – T.Nagar
Thygaraya Nagar, commonly known as T.Nagar is a very affluent commercial and residential neighborhood in Chennai, Tamilnadu. It comes under the Chennai Pin Code- 600 017. It was constructed between 1923 and 1925 by the Madras presidency government of the Raja of Panagal as a part of town planning activities according to the Madras Town planning Act of 1920. The town was named after P.Thyagarayachetty. This Chennai Pin Code was designed in European style, with the Panagal Park resembling the Arc De Triomphe and Pondy Bazaar resembling the Champ- Elysees in Paris. T.Nagar is one of the Cities largest shopping areas attracted by people all over. This neighborhood is considered to be the biggest shopping area by revenue. This revenue is still double that of New Delhi’s Connaught place and Mumbai’s link road.
Famous wardrobes stores like NalliChinnasamychetty, Naidu Hall, Pothys, The Chennai Silks, RMKV silks, and Kumaran Silks have their showrooms in T.Nagar. Ranganathan Street is one of the famous shopping areas of this Chennai Pin Code and it is the most crowded road for pedestrian traffic during day time. The road is full of smaller and petty shops that sell all sorts of household goods and garments. This place became a major hub for Carnatic music during festival season and residence for many music intellects. This Chennai Pin Code is a mixture of traditional and modern residents. Shiva Vishnu temple, Agasthiyar temple, and TTD (Tirupati Tirumala Devasthanam) are the most famous temples of this Chennai Pincode.
Chennai Pin Code – 600 007 :Vepery
Vepery is one of the oldest neighborhoods developed during the British settlement in Madras city. In this Chennai Pin Code, Christian Missionaries started arriving as early as 1749 after the treaty of Aix la Chapelle when the city was restored from French to English.
In 1828, the second oldest church St. Matthias was built after St. Mary’s church at Fort St. George. This church was officially consecrated on Matthias day in 1842 by the officiating Bishop Spencer of Madras.
In the year 1855, The Madras Parental Academic Institution and Doveton college were established in Vepery. The surrounding areas of Dovetonacquired its name after Captain.John.Doveton served as the commandant of the Seventh Regiment of the Infantry. These are some of the important memories of this Chennai Pin Code.
Madras Veterinary College was established on October 1st, 1903, and affiliated with the University of Madras in 1936, it is the first college to offer a bachelor’s degree in Veterinary Medicine in India in 1989. This Chennai Pin Code is popular since many educational institutions and a number of schools under State board, Matriculation, and Anglo-Indian Schools are situated in and surrounding this area.