With the rise in popularity towards creating a sustainable environment, lithium-ion batteries have become the most popular type of rechargeable battery for consumer electronics. Besides popularity, they have become an ideal solution for renewable energy storage for major businesses. What’s so special about them? What is driving their immense popularity these days? Well, the answer lies in the lithium-ion battery’s chemistry.
Its chemistry is superior to other lead batteries. Lithium-ion batteries have advantages, like low maintenance, high energy density, versatility, longevity and performance. From flashlights to cars, lithium-ion batteries are used for a large variety of products. Do these points alone make lithium-ion batteries superior?
How can we forget about the lithium ion battery price? Though the lithium ion battery price is comparatively higher, it offers a much better price over the entire product life. Besides, researchers and manufacturers are constantly trying to bring down the price of lithium ion battery.
Super long life and no maintenance make it a smart choice and a worthwhile investment.
Have we forgotten about the efficiency and lifespan of lithium-ion batteries? Absolutely not! Compared to lead batteries, lithium-ion batteries offer significant advantages, such as efficiency and longer lifespan, including improved discharge and the ability to deep cycle while maintaining power.
Fascinated? Want to learn more about lithium ion battery price and the many benefits of these batteries? Waste no more time and dive in.
Why are industries driving towards lithium-ion batteries?
As said above, lithium-ion batteries offer advantages like high energy density, low maintenance, longevity, versatility and performance. These factors contribute significantly to making industries use them. How? Here’s a quick explanation:
- Low Maintenance
When using lithium-ion batteries, follow the rule of thumb – plug, play, charge. that’s all! Unlike nickel-based batteries, lithium-ion batteries require relatively little maintenance. It has low maintenance costs and does not require a priming device. There is no memory effect, so even after repeated charging and discharging, it will not work even if the capacity is low.
To support the idea of creating a better and clean future, lithium-ion batteries make an ideal source of renewable energy solutions in many products, such as electric cars, electronic devices, high-power appliances, and many more.
- Longevity and Performance
They can deliver three times higher capacity, up to 3.6 volts, than nickel batteries. Additionally, they have a longer shelf life This is due to its slow self-discharge rate of about 1.5-2% per month.
- High Energy Density
Li-ion batteries offer the highest energy density, around 100-265 Wh/kg, in the rechargeable battery market. That makes them more powerful than any other battery available. Moreover, this factor makes people choose Li-ion batteries for longer battery life.
- Miscellaneous Benefits Of Using Lithium-Ion Batteries
Out of the plethora of benefits of using lithium-ion batteries, here are a few of them that contribute majorly towards making them a worthwhile investment:
- Lightweight: They are 50-60% less in weight than their lead-acid counterparts. Why would anyone carry heavy lead batteries when they can get lightweight ones with more unique features?
- Safety: They are made carefully with inherently safer chemistry. You can trust the affordable and reliable battery management systems that provide extra protection for lithium-ion batteries.
- Drop-in replacement: There’s no need to worry about replacement if the battery gets damaged. The battery is available in standard industry sizes that can serve the purpose depending upon the requirement.
- Constant power: What do you want when you think of installing an electrical appliance? Is it the constant power without any voltage drop? If yes, adopt lithium-ion batteries as their voltage doesn’t drop like lead-acid batteries.
- Temperature tolerant: These batteries are harmlessly operable up to 65 degrees Celsius and are 2.5 times more efficient at lower temperatures.
- Fast and safe charging: These batteries offer highly efficient charging, which can fully charge in 1-3 hours. Moreover, they have in-built overcharge protection that protects them from being exploded if left overnight for charging.
- More charge cycles: Quality Li-ion batteries last more than 1000 charge cycles. When the battery is discharged and then charged fully, Li-ion batteries do not degrade over time if this repetition of charge-discharge is constantly being done.
- Low self-discharge rate: FYI, self-discharge is an irreversible, natural process for batteries, where the chemicals undergoing reactions reduce the capacity even when the battery is not being used. Unlike the lithium ion battery price, the self-discharge rate of these batteries is low, which peaks at about 5% within the first 24 hours after charging the battery and then tapers off to 1-2% every month.
- Non-hazardous: No gases or chemicals are released into the environment using Li-ion batteries.
- PSOC tolerant: There’s no damage from the partial state of charge operation or storage while using lithium-ion batteries.
Lithium Ion Battery Price
In India, the lithium ion battery price ranges from ₹ 2250 to ₹1.5 lakhs. The high price of these batteries is because they offer a longer shelf life compared to other available options in the market. Various companies are working on reducing the lithium ion battery price by implementing advanced technologies. How successful they’re going to be is a matter of time!
To Wrap Up
Because lithium-ion batteries are quick to charge, consume less space, are lightweight and compact, provide life cycles 1500 @ 95 amperes, have a low C-rating and don’t require priming, they have become the soul of making the environment eco-friendly and sustainable. Besides, the lithium ion battery price is coming down too.
If you want to invest in batteries or any product made with batteries, go with the lithium-ion ones. They are the most promising solutions due to their low decay and optimal charging. What else? They can prove a good one-time investment because of their cost-to-energy ratio. So, when are you switching to lithium-ion batteries? The time is now!